Sunday is my planning day.
The main thing I plan for the week ahead is meals.
There are so many reasons that I do this……
- saves me time & headache from trying to figure out whats for supper each night
- I can shop all at once and know I have the ingredients I need for the entire week
- Knowing what’s for supper ahead of time keeps me from snacking as often throughout the day, not sure why but it does
- saves me money at the grocery store since I am buying exactly what I need and not filling my cart with random things. Also keeps me from buying expensive pre-packaged meals (although I do this on purpose from time to time)
- saves me money as we don’t eat out or order in as often
- we tend to make better food choices and eat more well rounded meals, although I am far from perfect at this even with meal planning
My disclaimer before I share how I meal plan. My meal planning is not fancy. I don’t have a high tech system or fancy paper or a fancy chalkboard chart in my house. It’s literally a scrap paper and a pen. I have been doing this quite faithfully for over 10 years now and it totally works for me!
This is what this weeks meal plan looks like…..
I only plan out the suppers as lunch is pretty basic around here and supper always seems to be the battle.
Typically I will plan out for the full 7 days unless I know for sure we will be away. If we end up changing plans on a certain night then I just bump my meals back a day. I am pretty chill with my plan. I definitely don’t stress about it. Some weeks get pretty bat shit crazy and we end up bumping 3 or 4 meals into the next week. That just means I have less to plan next week!
I start by writing out the days and then I go to Pinterest where I save all of my favourite recipes and just pick what I feel like for that week!
I write the recipe name down and the website it came from beside. Then I jot down the groceries I will need on another piece of scrap paper I can take to the store.
When it comes time to make the meal I just google the recipe name followed by the website and bam, it’s there in 5 seconds. No need to print out recipes and have a cluttered mess. I’ve tried it in the past and leaving the recipes to live on the internet is much, much easier for me!
Perhaps some day I will copy down the absolute best ones. Maybe.
Once I get the main dish figured out I will add a side dish or two and add that to the grocery list as well.
And that’s all there is to it!
One BIG thing I don’t have to fuss over for the week. Finding the time to actually cook the meals……that’s another story!
Here are the links to the meals we are eating this week:
- Tuesday – Roasted Herbed Beef Tips
- Wednesday – Honey Mustard Chicken
- Thursday – Foil Pack Sausage and Veggies
- Friday – Homemade Pizza
- Saturday – Lemon Chicken
- Sunday – Pineapple Ham Sheet Pan Dinner
- Monday – Meatloaf
If you are a meal planner I would love to hear how you do it! And if you aren’t perhaps I can inspire you to try it for a week!
Have a great day.